Cross stitch for beginners, where to start cross stitch
Each of us has a favorite hobby. Life with your favorite business is more interesting, especially if this business is embroidery. Cross-stitch, ribbon embroidery, beadwork. We all learn something initially, cross-stitch embroidery for beginners should not seem to be something very difficult and inaccessible. To make embroidery turned into a hobby, the website “Craftswoman” will give you some simple tips. Cross stitch is a fairly common type of needlework. It is considered simple and unpretentious, but it requires tremendous endurance and patience, and it also has its own nuances that only experienced embroiderers know about. Embroidery lessons consist of several stages.
What you need to start embroidering
For cross stitching you need to prepare the necessary materials. Here is a list of things you might need for embroidery.
- Canvas. Outline - a special material used as the basis for embroidery.A canvas is an invoice and a canvas, which is used as a ready basis. After the work is finished, they pull out threads from the consignment note, leaving the main embroidered pattern. So do for applications and jewelry. The size of the main canvas can be different, the most popular - 11 and 14.
- Thread. The most popular threads for embroidery are floss. Before work, some embroiderers wash the threads to make sure that they do not slip onto the canvas.
- The hoop. Create convenience in embroidery, they stretch the canvas, fixing it. Sometimes embroiderers go without a hoop.
- Needles. The needle for embroidery has a big eyelet and a blunt end, so as not to damage the threads or fingers.
- Embroidery pattern. Embroidery patterns are usually shown on separate sheets, included in the embroidery kit. Some people prefer to buy a finished canvas with an already printed pattern, which is washed out after washing the finished work, leaving only an embroidered pattern. Cross-stitch patterns are also available on the Internet in the public domain.
Preparatory work for embroidery.
Cross-stitch drawing begins with small things that can make life easier. You can handle the edges of the canvas with glue so that it does not crumble.Some people do not like the starched canvas, so it is washed off (this cannot be done with the canvas with the printed picture). Also very useful advice! Be sure to do the layout of the canvas, just as the layout is marked up. All cross stitch patterns are lined with squares that correspond to the same cross. Small squares for larger ones, which include 10 small ones, that is, one large square on the markup corresponds to 10 * 10 squares. The markup can be done using a marker for embroidery or the usual sharp sharp pencil.
The next step is preparing the threads. In the cross stitch kits, the threads are already in perfect order - they are separated by a special organizer. If there is no such thing, then divide the skein into separate threads. Now you can buy special small reels, organizers.
Prepare a workplace. With a long embroidery, the eyes get tired and the neck is numb (and not only). In general, it is better to interrupt sometimes and move.
How to embroider a cross for beginners, where to start?
The classic formula: you need to start embroidering from the middle of the canvas. Two factors play its favor:
- Embroidered pattern will not go anywhere.When you select a drawing, it must be obviously smaller than the canvas by at least a couple of centimeters, they are necessary in order to place the drawing in a framing frame.
- So it will be more convenient for you to embroider from the scheme, it is adapted to it.
- You yourself will be more interesting to embroider from the middle, since all the most interesting in embroidery is usually in the center. To find the middle of your embroidery, you need to fold the canvas two times in half. The place where the fold lines are crossed is the center of the web. It is necessary to mark the middle on your canvas, then repeat this process with a paper scheme. In the process of embroidery, the scheme often comes into disrepair, because some works are embroidered for more than one month. Therefore, before you begin to embroider your work, make a copy of the scheme, make marks on it for yourself.
- In case you are not too lazy and made markings on the canvas, draw squares, then there is no difference where to start embroidery. It will be convenient for you to start it from the middle as well as from the corners.
Cross-stitch step by step, how to fix the thread at the beginning of embroidery.
Professional embroiderers consider it good form to do without knots at the beginning and at the end of embroidery. There are several options for how to secure the thread without using knots:
- Loop from the inside. This loop makes it possible to fix and hide the thread under the work, on the reverse side of the canvas.We remove the needle from the inside to the outside, make a semi-cross, returning the needle to the inside. We insert the needle into the loop, tighten, fasten the thread.
- A loop. This method is the most popular. For this method, the thread must be double. We fold the thread in half, we insert into the ear.
At the opposite end is a loop. From the front side, thread the needle under the thread of the canvas. The loop has turned out, we pass through it a needle from a mouline thread. We stretch the thread, fasten the thread.
3.No knot. The thread from the front side of the floss we bring to the wrong side for some distance from the place of the beginning of embroidery. Leave the end of the thread on the front of the canvas. Crosses embroider, returning to the end of the thread. In this case, the stitches on the inside of the part will fasten the stretched thread of the floss. Then the end of the thread is cut off. If it is difficult, you can initially form a nodule, cutting it off afterwards.
4. Under stitches. You can also fix the beginning of the thread under the already embroidered crosses. From the seamy side, insert the needle under several stitches. Then take the needle to the front of the canvas and work on. This way you can fix the thread on the front.But only thick embroidery, so that under it you can hide the thread.
Tip: how much thread to embroider is up to you. In the finished set, there are recommendations on the number of threads to be taken. Consider, the more threads you take, the more convex the drawing will be. Sometimes they combine the number of threads in one drawing, for example in a landscape. Close objects emit a large number of threads, objects in the background, barely visible, embroider in one thread.
How to embroider a cross
How to embroider crosses? It depends on convenience. Sew as you like, there is one rule - the upper stitches should look in one direction, be tilted equally.
Types of cross stitching.
- Classical. It is also called English. First we sew one half cross,on it we embroider the second;
- Danish. It is embroidered with a picture of large volumes. First we embroider semi-crosses,then we return to the beginning of work, imposing the second half-cross on top.When embroidering, the first semi-crosses sew horizontals, or vertically - as more convenient.
In addition to classic crosses, there are also variations of them. For example, 3/4 cross draw the edges of the round figures on the embroidery.It is better to begin work with dark threads in order not to smudge light threads with long work.
We begin to embroider simple pictures, metrics.
One tip for beginner embroiderers - start with simple drawings and children's metrics. From the most simple things go to more complex pictures. Embroidery requires a lot of patience, interest and perseverance. Choose a story that you really like, and also do not forget that embroidery has values. For example, if a girl wants to get pregnant, she embroiders angels, children, soft toys. Read more about the meaning of embroidery here.
Metrics for children are a very touching and unusual gift for a girlfriend, sister, etc. There are two main directions of metrics - wedding and children metrics. At the first, a picture for the child is embroidered, the child's name, date of birth, weight, height, and so on. On the wedding metric embroidered the names of the newlyweds, the date of the wedding. This metric is relevant both on the wedding day and on the anniversary.
Before starting the embroidery of the metric, consider where the drawing will be located, the inscription, draw on the scheme the fonts you will use.Fonts for embroidery quite a lot.
If something is wrong with you, do not worry, do not rush, embroidery does not like vanity, this is an initially calm art form that aims to relax the embroideress and think about life while working.