How to choose a canopy for a bed for a child?
Why do you need a canopy?
The topic of whether to install a canopy on a crib is constantly discussed by mothers.
The fact is that a lot is said that this part of the interior can cause harm to the child’s body.
The argument is the ability of the fabric to accumulate dust in itself, which can lead to a deterioration in the health of the baby.
However, then you have to get rid of curtains, tulles, bedspreads and other interior items, which can also become excellent dust collectors.
What do you do when your curtain becomes dirty? That's right, you wash it. The same can be done with a canopy.
Just a couple of hours in the washing machine and you can hang it to dry. As a result, you get the thing as from a store and you can hang it on the holder again.
Another fear is that the canopy will impede the penetration of fresh air. It all depends on what fabric it is sewn from.
If it is natural and not dense, it does not interfere with air exchange.With fears over, now move on to the benefits.
The main thing is that a canopy on a crib will be able to make the baby’s stay in a new world more comfortable for him:
- First, the limitation of space will create a sense of security for the baby.
- Secondly, the canopy will be able to dim the lights and sounds that can disturb the sleep of a child.
- Thirdly, he is able to protect the baby from insects and pet hair (if any) that may cause him discomfort.
And, after all, it is very beautiful. Layers of fabric, decorated with ruffles and ribbons, will constantly remind you how small and defenseless is the creature that has appeared in your life.
You can buy a ready-made canopy, or you can do it yourself, which greatly increases their safety.
Useful tips for choosing
First of all, pay attention to the fabric. It should be natural, which allows air to move quietly.
Satin and batiste are best suited, natural silk and organza will look good, cotton can be used.
The density of the fabric depends on what tasks you set for the canopy.
If the room is constantly cool and even cold, there may be constant noise and there will be a lot of dust, then you should choose a denser fabric.
For the warm season suitable translucent canopy. The most functional is the length below the location of the mattress and the floor.
In this case, the baby will have maximum protection. Shorter versions are created solely for beauty.
Choosing a coloring, give preference to white color or pastel tones. They will not distract the baby in the process of falling asleep.
The canopy cannot fully protect against insects. If you have such a problem, it is better to additionally purchase a special mosquito net.
How to sew a canopy with your own hands?
If you are an expert and the opportunity to sew something unique for your baby does not scare you, then you can create a canopy with your own hands.
Moreover, it is easy to do. All you need is to stock up on the necessary amount of fabric, decorations for it and a set of sewing tools.
The model and appearance of the canopy is limited by your imagination and capabilities.
However, this should be determined first of all, since the choice of the model and the size of the fabric and the pattern that you plan to use depend on the choice of model.
To sew a canopy with your own hands you will need:
- 3 meters of natural fiber fabric;
- 6 meters of lace or another similar ribbon for decorating a canopy;
- 3.5 m of fabric for the production of the drawstring;
- accessories for decorating the product.
- Take the material and tuck it along the entire length of 5-10 cm. This width should be enough to create a place for threading the attachment. The fabric should be tacked on first, and then stitched on a typewriter. The basis of a simple canopy, for which no pattern is needed, is ready. Now you can go to the decoration.
- You should take the tape and attach it to the side and bottom of the canopy. Also it can decorate the upper part. In this case, from the top it is necessary to retreat a little (5 cm) and then attach the tape. Do not forget that the holes are made for the holder.
- To make the canopy a real decoration of a children's room, you can decorate it. For this purpose, suitable various applications in the form of animals, cartoon characters or fairy tales.You can use bows and ribbons that will fall beautifully. Also, a canopy, created with your own hands, you can decorate with embroidery. For girls, extra ruffles and frills look very elegant and tender.
Perhaps you will need a more complex pattern with many additional elements. If you have the opportunity, you can use it.
For those who like to sew and make something with their own hands, there are many options for every taste. Determine, choose what pattern you can do, and - go ahead!
How to install a canopy?
So, you purchased a canopy or were able to sew it and, most likely, acquired a special holder. What to do now?
Correctly install them. To do this, you should stock up on some tools (drill or screwdriver).
First, decide on how the cot will be located. If it rests against its long side against the wall, then the canopy holder should be mounted on this part of the bed.
In the case when a narrow part is attached to the wall, the holder with a canopy can be installed here. Both options will look great.
The canopy mount is a long hollow tube to which another shorter tube is connected, bent with an oval.
It will not make up connecting a round part to a long work, as usually there are special openings that include the “mustache” of the oval.
The long part that the holder has is called the stand. It is usually recommended to fasten it with the help of screws to the bar of the bed.
However, it may be unsafe for a baby who is growing up, can pull the canopy holder and get injured.
Therefore, for reliability, it is better to make special holes that tightly attach the rack to the bed.
To hang a canopy, you can use several ways. Often there are special ropes that allow you to fasten the fabric on the holder.You can just drop the canopy on top of the oval.
However, the most practical is the option when an oval tube is taken out of the mount and passed into special openings on the canopy, and then fixed again to the stand.
So the fabric is collected in a variety of folds, which then beautifully fall on the bed.
How to care for a canopy?
If you want your canopy to be not only the decoration of the children's room, but also a safe piece of furniture, then you should properly care for it.
First of all, keep in mind that he will need a fairly frequent wash.
The best option is the frequency once a week.
In this regard, choose a model with a decor that is securely fastened. And if you yourself decided to sew a canopy, then do it conscientiously.
Products from tulle and organza will dry very quickly, and it is not necessary to iron them.
But if you take more crumpling fabrics, and at the same time the pattern assumes the presence of ruffles and frills, then think for yourself if you have enough strength and desire to smooth them out every time.
To use or not canopy - you decide. When choosing, try to consider how it would be better for the baby.