How to photograph children?
Nowadays, photography is becoming more and more accessible hobby, so many people begin to strive to ensure that their photos are not just gathering dust in the albums, but also perform a certain aesthetic function, including in children's photography. How to photograph children correctly - read on.
To understand how to photograph children correctly, it is necessary to learn the basic techniques of photography in different genres, learn the basics of composition and work with light.
How to photograph children at home
The best photos with children are not staged, but live. Good shots are obtained when taking pictures of children while they go about their business, play and have fun. Shoot as they draw, play with their toys, collect cubes, read books. The main condition: it is necessary to photograph correctly so that the face of the child can be seen, and not his bent top or the back of the head.
If a child behaves too actively, directly ask him to help you: children love to be photographed, so they should be happy to help you.
Fun and immediate photos can come out of the shooting process of bathing little children.
At home, it would be best to take advantage of the daylight from the window. To take the picture correctly, place the child facing the window. Your position as a photographer is between the window and the child. On a clear day, any camera should cope with this task without problems, but on a cloudy day, it is better to use a tripod or an auxiliary surface on which you can fix the camera still and take a picture without fear of the “blurring” effect.
In the evening it is not necessary to count on the windows, so it remains to resort to artificial lighting. Despite the fact that it interferes with adequate color reproduction and “yellows” the photo, this is the only way out for home child photography.
Try to maximize the use of flash. Besides the fact that a photo with a direct flash loses all its artistry, the flashlight directed straight at the child will destroy the entire face relief, make it flat and expressionless. Such additional lighting is also fraught with the appearance of the red-eye effect and glare on the face.In addition, many people squint from the flash of a camera, and then it will be even harder to catch a good shot.
If you have the opportunity, use an external flash, directing it not directly, but to the ceiling - this will result in a softer, more filling light.
How to photograph children in the street
As a photographer, child photography on the street provides you with much more opportunities to diversify future shots and not to depend on finding normal lighting, unlike shooting in the house. And cityscapes are the best background for your photos.
The subject of photography should be well lit, and for this he needs to be directly turned towards the sun. Correctly choose the time for shooting - the very morning and sunset hours, or a period of little cloudiness, so that the light is scattered and soft.
During photography, children can play outdoor games in nature, blow bubbles, play with animals, start a kite ... Your task is to seize the moment!
Shooting can be carried out on the playground, using the swings available there. If there is an opportunity to visit an amusement park with your child, use it.It is important to constantly monitor children and behave properly in such a fairly traumatic places.
In warm weather, you can combine business with pleasure and have a picnic on the lawn. Although children's photography directly echoes the portrait photo, where the focus is on the person, use bright costumes and interesting props: toys, fruit baskets, sweets, children's books, flowers and much more. So you will kill two birds with one stone: you will occupy and entertain the child, while you will take a photo, and add color to future photos.
- Remember the following rule - to photograph children correctly you need to be at the level of their eyes. Crouch or crouch down to the height of the child's height, and you will see how much the perspective of the shooting changes. Many make a mistake and take pictures of children from top to bottom, and from this the figures come out disproportionately, with small legs and big heads.
- To avoid distortion of perspective, it is also not necessary to photograph children from very close distances.
- To take a photo correctly, focus on the eyes of the child. If the photo is static, you can focus manually. But when shooting a dynamic, live photo, it is better to trust autofocus.
- Take a serial shot of each individual angle. It allows you to continuously make many shots in a row; almost all cameras now have such a function. This is very useful when shooting babies in motion: if you take one frame, the child can blink, open his mouth, jerk and blur the image, but with a series of frames you can definitely grab one successful one.
- From here, another advice follows: carefully search through the taken photos. Do not store gigabytes of the same type of frames with similar angles - leave only one of the most successful.
- Do not do a lot of staged photos. Catch the real and lively emotions of children, they can not be faked, and such photos are the best. Therefore, always keep the camera with you: you do not know when the child will give you a reason for a great new shot.
How to photograph children under 1 year
First of all, the baby must be full and healthy, otherwise about any shooting and can not go. Make sure that the room is warm, especially if you do not plan to photograph the baby dressed from head to toe.
Photographing these tops from top to bottom can be, if you want to show how small they are.In order to reinforce this impression, you can put some recognizable object in size, for example, mother's hat, or capture father's arms around the baby in a frame.
These babies cannot yet pose, therefore it will be correct to photograph them in the prone position. You can put the child on a beautiful blanket of delicate, pastel shades.
Children who are barely a few months old can completely ignore the camera, so their attention can be attracted by special toys that are worn directly on the lens.
A beautiful children's photo session can happen if you take pictures of sleeping babies: besides the fact that they are extremely cute at this moment, they still do not react to external stimuli, so it will be easier for beginning photographers in the face of parents to make good shots.
To diversify the pictures, use additional props, for example, the child’s favorite children's toy.
When photographing karapuzov up to one year old, it will be right to refuse to use the flash, because in young children the sensitivity of the eyes to the eyes differs from adults - to such bright light they are not verywell adapted. In addition, the baby may simply be frightened by the flash.