Nightmares in a dream - a sign of illness?
Many of us woke up in a cold sweat from terrible visions chasing in our sleep. Why are having nightmares? Are they a sign of some kind of illness or are they just evidence of fatigue and stress? Let's find out what psychologists think about this.
Causes of nightmares
Nightmares are the result of brain activity, which thus either warns of the presence of a disease, or usesscary dreamsas a way of psycho-emotional discharge.
Let's see when nightmares in a dream indicate an illness. The alarm bells that signal the disease can be:
- shooting wars, fights and violence. Often such dreams accompany the onset of neurosis and neurasthenia, and also speak of oxygen starvation of the brain;
- lack of air in a dream (you are drowning, choking, dying under a landslide). Most often indicates apnea - short-term stops breathing;
- unaccountable fear, injuries to the heart.They are usually harbingers of cardiovascular diseases.
A single nightmare is not a cause for concern, it is worth worrying when nightmares often occur, and with a similar plot. By the way, the feeling of falling during sleep can also warn about diseases. Read about it in the article "Why do we dream that we fall in a dream."
BUTwhy do nightmareswhen a person is physically healthy? There are several reasons:
- emotional traumas suffered in childhood. For example, parental quarrels, strong fright, punishment;
- stress, overwork, nervous tension. Bringing you into a state of emotional tension in a dream, and then drastically reducing it, the brain allows you to emotionally discharge and return to normal;
- binge eating. Meal before bedtime threatens not only extra pounds, but also nightmares. A working stomach causes the nervous system to be in an excited state, which manifests itself in the form of night terrors;
- the discomfort. Inconvenient bed, flashing light, heat and stuffiness - all this can cause not only a restless sleep, but also the appearance of nightmares;
- emotional shock.A break with a close friend, an accident, a scene of violence seen somewhere may turn into horrors in a dream. The same effect has a horror film that was watched at night;
- drinking before bedtime, as well as coffee and drugs. All these substances trigger arousal in the brain, and as a result, horrors roll in at night;
- physical fatigue. Try to exercise before you go to bed, and you can not count on a good and healthy sleep. Therefore, doctors advise to complete the workout at least three hours before being sent to bed;
- a turning point in life. Marriage, promotion, change of job, admission to the university can also result in night terrors, although in reality there is nothing terrible about them.
For more on why we have nightmares, see the video:
How to get rid of nightmares?
It is time to learn how to get rid of night terrors. Everything is simple: you need to identify and eliminate the cause of their appearance, then the terrible dreams will disappear. As a hint, use the dreams themselves. Just do not rush to look for answers in the dream books - they are not there. Try to find a solution yourself.
For example, if you get lost in the forest, in life, most likely, you can not find a way out of the impasse.And when you dream that you roll down a hill or fall down a staircase, in the real world you may be haunted by the fear of losing your job or losing respect in the eyes of other people.
If you can not figure outwhy do nightmares, try as much as possible to exclude the possible causes of their appearance, namely:
- Ventilate the bedroom regularly; replace the uncomfortable mattress with a more comfortable one; provide the room with sufficient blackout at night;
- a couple of hours before bedtime stop eating;
- do not watch “horror films” in the evening, better try to relax by turning on calm music, watching melodrama, reading a book;
- plan the day so that physical exertion falls on daytime, and the evening is devoted to rest;
- avoid stress, do not go into conflicts, limit communication with people who are unpleasant to you, find a positive in any situation - in general, try to be optimistic and take care of your mental health.
If after this get rid of the horrors will not work, ask for help from a doctor. Perhaps the reason should be sought in children's psychological trauma or physical illness.