What to expect after the first abortion?
There are situations when, for medical or social reasons, a woman must terminate a pregnancy. But there are cases when the expectant mother has a choice: to have the first abortion in her life or to leave the child. We hope, having read our article, they will make a choice in favor of saving the life of the baby, because there are no safe abortions.
Types of abortion during the first pregnancy
Regardless of whether you are doing the first abortion or once again getting rid of the child, modern medicine is ready to offer you three types of abortion procedures. You can choose only from those shown to you in terms of time and state of health.
More oftenabortion in the first weeks of pregnancyIt is carried out with drugs. The procedure is simple and causes the least amount of complications, but they are still there, and we will tell about them a little later.
Medical abortion is done for up to 49 days, with the counting starting from the beginning of the last menstrual period. This method is most effective up to 4 weeks.During a medical abortion, a woman takes 1-3 pills of a special steroid drug, and if she doesn’t have anxious symptoms (nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc.) for 2 hours, she is sent home from the clinic.
Steroid pills change the hormones of the body by blocking progesterone, which is necessary for normal childbearing. After 1.5-2 days after taking them, it is recommended to use drugs that cause cramps and trigger the mechanism of fetal rejection. After two days from the start of the procedure, an ultrasound examination should be performed to make sure that the egg has left the uterus.
Vacuum abortion, also called mini-abortion, is a procedure for aspiration (exhaustion) of the ovum with the help of a special apparatus. Along with the drug, it can be considered as a relatively sparing way for a woman to get rid of the fetus.
A catheter is inserted into a woman's uterus, and then an egg cell is removed through a suction machine due to low pressure. The procedure lasts 5-10 minutes and is carried out without anesthesia, since it does not involve the expansion of the cervix.
The maximum period for which this method can be effective is 4-5 weeks.In other cases, doctors practice the surgical method.
Scraping is one of the most dangerous types of abortion, as it is often accompanied by damage to the walls of the uterus. The procedure is very painful, and therefore is carried out under general anesthesia and in the presence of an anesthesiologist.
A woman is placed on a gynecological chair, with the help of a special probe, the cervix is dilated and its walls are scraped out with a curette (surgical spoon). The procedure is carried out "blindly": the doctor does not see if he has removed all the necessary things from the uterus and has not accidentally pierced its wall. Therefore, surgical abortion is the most traumatic.
The duration of the scraping - up to 22 weeks. The later you decide to terminate the pregnancy, the harder the consequences can be.
Remember: none of the types of abortions are used during ectopic pregnancy. In this case, extraction of the ovum is performed only by surgery.
First abortion: consequences
Artificial miscarriage always threatens the health of a woman, butfirst pregnancy abortionespecially dangerous. The walls of the uterus in a woman who has not given birth are thinner than in a woman who has given birth,and easier to undergo mechanical damage, and they, in turn, lead to inflammation, which subsequently turn into miscarriages, premature birth and infertility.
Medical first abortion - risks
The main danger of medical abortion is hormonal disruption in the body, which can lead to a violation of the monthly cycle, miscarriages and even infertility.
- due to improper dosage it is not possible to terminate the pregnancy. Some women decide to leave the child after this, but children are often born with physical and mental disabilities;
- the occurrence of heavy bleeding. As a result, the doctor will have to either carry out scraping, or even remove the uterus, and alreadyafter the first abortiona woman will lose the opportunity to have children.
The influence of drugs used in medical abortion, due to the individual characteristics of the body, so the doctor can not predict the possible consequences of the first abortion.
Vacuum first abortion: what is the danger
The first abortion aspiration may also be dangerous. As a result of aspiration:
- part of the embryo may remain in the uterus, with the result that its inflammation begins - endometritis. Therefore, doctors recommend at the end of the procedure to undergo an ultrasound, only a specialist must be experienced, otherwise small remnants of the embryo may go unnoticed. If the aspiration is incomplete, the doctors will do the scraping;
- painful abdominal cramps may begin. In this case, you also need to do an ultrasound scan, which would eliminate incomplete aspiration. Otherwise, endometritis may begin, reducing a woman’s chances of becoming pregnant and carrying a healthy child;
- pneumoembolism may occur when, due to the formation of high pressure in the uterus, there is a blockage of blood vessels with an air thrombus, and if appropriate measures are not taken, death occurs;
- can damage the uterus, if you enter the device very deeply. Usually such a mistake is made by inexperienced specialists, so choose a doctor carefully.
Surgical first abortion: complications
Scraping is the most dangerous procedure, in many cases reducing the ability of a woman to get pregnant and give birthafter the first abortion. Possible consequences:
- mechanical damage.There are cases when a doctor, making a woman's first abortion, breaks through the uterus with surgical instruments, damaging neighboring organs - the intestines, the bladder;
- bleeding caused by residues in the uterus of the ovum or poor blood clotting. In the first case, re-scraping will save you, while in the second it all depends on the experience of the doctor and the availability of the necessary drugs in the hospital;
- the formation of hematometers - the accumulation of blood clots in the uterus as a result of its bending or neck spasm. In this case, you will have to undergo surgery;
- inflammatory processes that significantly reduce the chances of pregnancy after the first abortion;
- complications from anesthesia. Going to the operation for the first time, you can not know how well tolerate it;
- risk of contracting HIV and hepatitis.
Scraping significantly increases the likelihood of ectopic fertilization, miscarriages, heavy bleeding during childbirth and infertility.
Can I get pregnant after the first abortion?
Answering the question whether you can get pregnant after the first abortion, we will say "yes."However, according to statistics, in this case only 85 out of 100 women retain the chances of becoming a mother. Hormonal imbalances, inflammatory processes in the uterus and nervous stress do their job: many women have to heal the consequences of abortion for many years.
Therefore, wondering if you can do the first abortion, carefully weigh the pros and cons, because if you take the life of your unborn child today, you can never know the joy of motherhood.
Why abortion is dangerous, especially for teenagers, see the video: