Why does our body need magnesium?
The beneficial properties of the mineral
Like many other substances, in nature magnesium practically does not occur in the free state, since it has an extremely high chemical activity and almost instantly reacts with other elements that are able to bind with it. Relatively pure metallic magnesium is found in automobile and aircraft components, but it is always covered with a protective sheath, as it comes to burn even in low temperatures when in contact with water.
And this element should be constantly present in the human body. Of course, we are talking about its related form, in which potassium and calcium also enter the body. Due to this, magnesium does not react, but is actively used by many organs and their systems to maintain the required level of health.
The main beneficial properties of magnesium are as follows:
- The most important effect of magnesium is thatthat it allows you to actively absorb vitamin C, which is the most powerful antioxidant that activates human immunity, as well as vitamin E, which also plays the role of an antioxidant and regulates the production of hormones. Mineral increases the effectiveness of their entry into the blood by 4-5 times, which allows to reduce daily doses of substances in food without the risk of their deficiency in the body.
- Also, magnesium actively supports the intestinal walls, at the same time making them more durable and stable, and also permeable to nutrients, without which the functioning of the human body is impossible.
- Magnesium displaces calcium and potassium from the body, regulating their content in certain tissues. If you do not use this mineral with food, you can witness a decrease in the elasticity of your bones and muscles, which will increase the likelihood of injury, as well as reduce the power potential of a person. However, this element is dangerous - if the body will be its excess amount, it will lead to excessive displacement of substances such as potassium and calcium, so you should seek to optimize your diet.
- As independently, and helping to absorb vitamin E, magnesium strengthens the cardiovascular system, increasing its level of health, as well as contributing to the normalization of heart rhythm.If a clear deficiency is observed in food, it can lead to the occurrence of tachycardia, arrhythmias, as well as other problems that can provoke even the appearance of heart defects and other incurable pathologies.
- Without magnesium, the number of red blood cells decreases significantly, and, consequently, the efficiency of transporting oxygen through the body decreases. In addition, it is worth remembering that magnesium, potassium and calcium determine the strength of the walls of blood vessels and, if the body does not observe a balance of these three elements, bleeding may begin, including in the internal organs.
- However, we forgot to mention another important function of magnesium - like potassium, it is an electrolyte that provides transmission of electrical impulses, which are signals of the nervous system. Therefore, if you use an inadequate amount of mineral, all signals will be weak, reach with a significant delay, or even cause an incorrect reaction.
What causes the absence of magnesium?
In order to clearly illustrate why it is necessary to closely monitor the mineral content in the diet, we will draw a verbal portrait of a person who does not receive enough magnesium:
- Calcium accumulates in his muscles, therefore, they eventually become less elastic and hardened - just a couple of months are needed in order to get out of bed was very difficult.
- The absence of magnesium and an element such as potassium is also manifested in the weakness of the connective tissue, which is found in almost all parts of the body. In turn, this leads to constant stretching, as well as poor posture and the appearance of spinal curvature.
- Since magnesium and potassium in a reduced volume do not allow the nervous system to function normally, such a person will not be able to sleep and recover his strength even after a long rest.
- In addition, her dysfunctions can lead to the fact that a person will no longer experience certain emotions, it will be too late to feel pain, which will lead to an increase in the number of cuts and burns on his skin.
- Children’s intellectual potential deteriorates significantly, they are difficult to learn, they cannot focus on a particular subject.
- Recall the fact that magnesium and vitamin E are involved in maintaining the health of the cardiovascular system, maintain a normal heart rate and vascular wall strength.
- Human skin becomes gray from the lack of oxygen in the body, nerve cells die, and the activity of the most important organs decreases several times.
The consequences are easy to understand - a person loses most of his strength and cannot lead a full life until the normal content of all types of nutrients in the body is restored. Of course, such a picture develops only after six months or a year of insufficient magnesium intake, when calcium and other elements accumulate in the body, as well as significant structural changes in metabolism occur.
How to get enough magnesium?
To get magnesium in the required amount, you need to leave in your diet boiled liver, preferably chicken or rabbit, as well as smoked meat products, including ham and bacon. It is allowed to use a small amount of salted fat, however, it is necessary to monitor their weight and the ability of the body to efficiently process fats of animal origin.
If sausages really produce by the rules and do not use meat substitutes and other fillers, then they also contain a considerable amount of magnesium.
Magnesium and Vitamin E
If you are interested in both magnesium and vitamin E, then you should use a number of vegetables that contain a combination of these substances. These include the following foods:
- spring onions;
- White cabbage;
- leafy greens.
A very small amount of magnesium is found in potatoes, and if you fry it, it will lose almost all of its beneficial properties. Therefore, nutritionists recommend cooking potatoes, boiling it, or baking with skin.If we talk about fruits, then you can avoid looking for magnesium in them - it is contained there in a minimum amount that is insufficient to meet human needs.
Magnesium and Vitamin B
To get magnesium, as well as vitamin B, iron and many other beneficial substances, you should at least 2-3 times a week eat legumes, including soybeans, beans and peas. Also, a huge number of various nutrients contains spinach, which is recommended to use for people weakened after a long severe illness.
But drinking milk for the sake of replenishing the level of this element in the body is not recommended. The fact is that it contains calcium, which enters into an active reaction with magnesium compounds and does not allow it to be absorbed normally. To avoid this problem, use more dry milk, adding it to culinary dishes, or condensed product.